Create a garden that rocks!
- Find a sunny, open, sloping space
- Clear the area completely
- Define an edge, maybe map it out
- Rocks can be permanent structures, so avoid placing them in areas that you may need to access
- Pick a well-drained area
- If necessary, remove a few inches of topsoil.
- Mix in six or so inches of gravel to help drain water more efficiently
- Lay weed-resistant fabric on the ground before placing the rocks to allow water to penetrate but won’t allow weeds to grow through
- Start with large sandstone or limestone rocks and create little ravines and crevices to fill with plants
- Top them with your medium and smaller sized rocks
- Fill in the ravines and crevices with topsoil, then add on compost and a sand mix
- Choose low growing plants that can retain moisture
Simple enough, right?