Clematis are the most popular vines with very attractive flowers. They can be challenging to grow, but so rewarding!
- They are perennial flowering vines with flowers the size of large roses.
- They need support; a trellis, archway, rock or shrubbery.
- During the spring they do best in full sun but do well with partial shade in summer.
- Keep the roots shaded by planting other plants or small shrubs around them.
- They prefer a fertile, well-drained and alkaline soil (pH value more than 7). If the soil is too acidic, add lime when planting.
- Roots should not dry out or be disturbed.
- Planting two to three different varieties of clematis will provide an abundance of blooms and add a continuous display of garden color throughout the year.